TWO Things Your MX40 Committee Needs You To Know NOW!
IN BRIEF: MX40 WhatsApp Group Rules; and security update re loiterers and suspicious behaviour.
MX40 WHATSAPP GROUP RULES
Our WhatsApp group for MX40 residents has been incredibly well-received! Just a reminder, PLEASE, that the purpose of the group is very clear – to share URGENT SECURITY-RELATED INFORMATION between residents of the MX40 road closure.
As you know, when used responsibly, WhatsApp is a powerful tool; when used used irresponsibly, it quickly becomes a nuisance.
Here are a few guidelines:
- Only MX40 residents are permitted to join the group.
- Please note that this group is for security issues only – not for checking if your neighbours have electricity or water supply, complaints about hawkers in the suburb, or about refuse not being collected on time.
- Post your message in one single paragraph of text – don’t post every word or sentence in a new message.
- Please don’t send any “thank you” or “I don’t know” messages.
- Check your sources before you share.
- Hit “Mute” on your WhatsApp group. You will still receive all the messages, but your phone won’t buzz or make a noise for every one of them.
- When sharing security information, please provide: the dates, time and details of the incident.
If you wish to be added to the WhatsApp group, please send your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Loiterers and suspicious behaviour
There appears to be an increase in pedestrians in MX40, particularly in the vicinity of homes being renovated. Should you notice any suspicious behaviour (pedestrians or suspicious vehicles), please report the matter to the Beagle Watch / CSS Tactical control room on 011 577 1200 immediately.
Residents are urged to ensure that entrance gates cannot be lifted off the rails.
- Please be vigilant at all times, and if you find that your gate appears to have been tampered with, please call Beagle Watch / CSS Tactical to accompany you when entering your property.
- A number of residents’ gates are regularly found wide open by the Beagle Watch / CSS Tactical patrol car at all times of day and night. It is also strongly recommended that your gate is programmed to close automatically after use.
A new modus operandi of crime syndicates is to drive around suburbs, looking for people standing in their driveways chatting to friends who are leaving or arriving, and then attack.
- Many of these attacks are on women, quite often during the morning or late afternoon. The criminals will slowly drive past and evaluate the situation then two or three men would jump out and at gunpoint force anyone standing in the driveway to hand over all valuables like jewellery, mobile phones, handbags, etc.
Please note that one of your most vulnerable places to be is in your driveway.
- Make sure you never stand around socialising outside of the gate to your home. Greet your visitors and immediately enter your property and close the gate. You are strongly advised to carry your panic button with you when receiving or saying farewell to visitors.