#HiddenGems – Gerakaris Winery In Craighall Park
Welcome to the very first in our new series – #HiddenGems – where we uncover local venues that are worth a visit! Please do give us a heads-up if you have a venue you’d like to suggest – we’re all ears. Comment below!
This week’s top find is Gerakaris Family Wines in Craighall Park. And while they don’t physically grow any grapes at the venue, you are still able to chat to their winemaker, enjoy a leisurely wine tasting, and shop up a storm – all in beautiful surroundings!
Surprisingly, Gerakaris Family Wines has its roots in a garage. Owner Kath Gerakaris, who has a postgraduate diploma in viticulture and wine making, had been making wine in her garage in Joburg for a few years before she found the perfect home for her new venture – on the REEA foundation property, alongside the beautiful Colorful Splendor Nursery and Delta Café.
Since then, the business has developed into a holistic wine enterprise encompassing the venue, wine education to the professional and private markets, wine consulting and “garagiste” wine making!
- Booking is essential for more than two people, so keep that in mind when planning a wine-tasting visit to the winery.
- At this point, only tapas are available – a small bowl of olives and a small cheese platter.
- Those looking for a more substantial meal can pop next door to Delta Café.
- Expect to pay R30 to taste each of the four wines on offer. Any wine that you decide to purchase can be bought immediately.
- The winery is available for hire and are perfect for corporate functions, launches, birthday parties and get-together.
- The owners have specifically designed the venue as a ‘blank canvas’ so you can decorate/ accessories according to your particular theme.
- You could invite your friends for a bring and braai, use the wonderful Delta Cafe’s catering from next door, or fully decorate the whole building and garden and use your favorite caterers to create a really sophisticated and spectacular event… your imagination is the only limit!
- Four large handmade trestle tables with benches (seating up to 40 guests for use inside or out) and of wine glasses are provided.
- Also available for hire are mushroom heaters in winter, a huge braai and other conference-related equipment.
- Wednesday, Thursday and Friday: 12pm – 5pm
- Saturday: 10am – 3pm
- Sunday: 11am – 2pm
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Call: 072 638 7636
Address: 20 Marlborough Avenue, Craighall Park, Johannesburg