How To Avoid Being A Victim Of A “Follow Home” Incident
The “follow home” crime syndicates are well-organised gangs. There is a spotter tasked with identifying a suitable victim in the mall, at the airport, or at the bank. This person is in contact with the rest of the gang who will be waiting outside in a car. This vehicle then pursues the victim, and robs them when they are in their driveway at home.
The following advice is given to residents to avoid falling victim to a “follow home” incident:
- Avoid displaying cash or large amounts of jewellery when out shopping, especially when travelling without another adult companion.
- Ladies on their own or with their children are usually targeted by these syndicates.
- Double-check that your vehicle is locked when parking at the mall.
- Report any suspicious lone persons on foot to mall security.
- Be aware of people watching you when pushing your trolley towards the car and packing your shopping into the car.
- Be vigilant when leaving a shopping centre, airport or bank.
- Before leaving for home, ensure that the remote for your driveway and garage are with you and not in your boot or anywhere else beyond arm’s reach whilst you’re in the driver’s seat.
- When driving, make use of your mirrors to take a mental note of vehicles which have followed you for extended periods of time, particularly when driving from malls. If the vehicle is still behind you when you near your driveway, do not stop or slow down. Instead, go around the block and proceed to the nearest police station, or any other place of safety. Ask Beagle Watch / CSS Tactical to either meet you at your home or escort you back home, if you feel unsafe.
- Do not use you mobile phone while driving . This will distract you from warning signs of a follow-home robbery.
What to do if you suspect that you are being followed:
- Proceed immediately to the nearest police station.
- If you are already within the MX40 enclosure and suspect you are being followed, circle through the suburb and call CSS Tactical (011 577 1200).
- Do not go to your home. Do not stop your vehicle. Do not go down a cul-de-sacs. If the vehicle continues to follow you, make your way to the Sandton Police Station on the corner of Rivonia & Summit Roads.
- DO NOT STOP in your driveway if you suspect that you are being followed.